Deafblind UK are asking if you or someone you know could become a regular visitor to John, a 92 year old Christian gentleman who lives alone in Belfast. Due to his sight and hearing loss he would particularly like someone to come on a regular weekly basis to read his Bible with him over a cuppa. He also enjoys chatting about his various interests in the church.
Deafblind UK say, “Due to his sight and hearing loss, John is unable to access information, including his Bible and finds it difficult to communicate effectively with others. Due to this he lacks confidence in attending church groups, and would love nothing more than a trip to visit his local church group and make friends with other Christians.
John will need someone to be patient and clearly spoken, preferably with a deeper lower voice, able to take him to local church and be a great conversationalist.
Ideally John would like a volunteer to pop round once a week, preferably on a Thursday. If these hours aren’t suitable for you but you’re still interested in giving your precious time to an individual then contact us today.”
Deafblind UK go on to say,
- This is a direct way to make a difference to a deafblind person’s life
- You will build a new friendship and have the opportunities to learn new skills
- We will offer you full training, support and guidance throughout your volunteering experience with Deafblind UK
- Reimbursement of out of pocket expenses such as mileage or public transport costs.
What is required of the visitor? –
- A regular commitment of one weekly visit – usually 1-3 hours
- We will need to undertake two references and a DBS check before this role can start
- You will need to be over the age of 18 years to apply for this role
If you are interested in finding out more about how you could help John, a member of the Deafblind UK community then get in touch.
You can contact the Recruitment team on 01733 358100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also find out more about this volunteer visitor role on the Deafblind UK website here.